Code Enforcement

Back to Planning Home
Contact Information
Office Address:
2380 Washington Blvd
Suite 240
Ogden, Utah 84401

Short Term Rental
24/7 service/complaint hotline for unincorporated areas
Phone: 385-557-6688

Records Request Form

Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement Pamplet (pdf)

Code Enforcement Citizen Complaint Form (pdf)

Zoning Regulations

Zoning ordinances help maintain property values and protect the health, safety, and welfare of property in Unincorporated Weber County.

Frequently Asked Questions

How to file a Complaint or request for service on a Short Term Rental Property?

Weber County has a hotline you may call 801-528-1230, 24 hours per day 7 days per week. All requests for service / complaints related to short term rental properties or violations should be reported through this hotline.

What is a Violation?

There are many types of zoning violations. Zoning ordinances contain standards regarding the use of land. The zoning ordinance can be found on the Weber County Planning Division Land Use Code.

Code enforcement does not enforce private matters, e.g., covenants or deed restrictions. These are civil matters that are dealt with privately.

How should a Neighborhood Issue Be Handled?

If your neighbor is in violation of the zoning ordinances or the county junk ordinance, it is recommended that the first step be to develop a relationship with your neighbor and talk to them about a mutual solution. If the “friendly neighbor” approach does not work or if this is not feasible, you may wish to contact Code Enforcement.

How do I Contact Code Enforcement?

You may file a complaint by sending a letter, e-mail or make a phone call. The Weber County Planning Division is located in the Weber Center at 2380 Washington Blvd, Suite 240, Ogden, UT 84401. Our hours of operation are 8 AM to 5 PM each weekday. The phone number is (801) 399 8371. You can also reach the Division by e-mail:

Do I Have to give My Name When filing a Complaint?

Any complaint filed becomes public information. If litigation becomes necessary you may be asked to testify. However, if you wish to remain anonymous, the Code Enforcement Officer will process the complaint.

Receiving Updates Regarding a Complaint

If you would like Code Enforcement to inform you of the decision and/or action on a complaint, please indicate so when making the complaint. If you do not, the matter will be handled without further contact.

How Long Does Compliance Take?

Once a complaint is filed, an initial inspection will generally be conducted within two working days. If a violation exists then a contact is made with the property owner/tenant with the direction to bring the violation into compliance. The entire process may take several weeks or months. In the event that legal action is required to remedy the situation, additional time will be required.